Tuesday, March 31, 2015

ACEN Cosplay Reveal -- Week 3

I asked my peeps on Facebook if I should do a cosplay reveal for Anime Central, like how Super Smash Bros. did one for their characters. Unfortunately, with my mouse broken, I can't post fancy schmancy photos, so we'll have to make due with what we got. Don't like? Deal. Now on with the show!


Souji Rippukan slashes into the fray!

"The Slashing Brave! Kyoryu Green!"
 Ever since last Anime Central, I wanted to expand my Super Sentai cosplay. Sure, I was decent as Captain Marvelous, but I've already received praise for how my Souji looked. Now, who or what is Souji Rippukan and the Kyoryuger?

Recently, Saban released the newest season of his Power Ranger franchise, Dino Charge. However, about two years ago was when its source material, Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger, was released in Japan. Unlike the American counterpart - which I heard was good - the Kyoryuger show had a lot of campy and outstanding points. Before the Kyoryuger transformed, they had to do a little dance. Luckily, they explained this as the melody of the planet that radiated from their guns causes them to do it. Also, the villains, the Deboth Army, are on a Sailor Moon-esque mission where they want to collect emotional energy to revive their master of the same name - Deboth. They must harvest sorrow, joy, and anger, which half the time their plots are foiled by the heroes.

Souji Rippukan is a school student and the youngest member on the team at 17. He also is the first among his dinosaur Sentai alumni as the first raptor motif ranger, Zakutor. He is skilled with a sword - his skills were taught to him by his father (played by veteran Sentai actor, Jun'ichi Haruta - Dyna Black). His mother is a fashion model (played by veteran Sentai actress, Sayoko Hagiwara - Dyna Pink). He defeated his mech partner to earn the right of KyoryuGreen. That's right, this branch of Sentai had to fight their dino partners to get their powers, a feat almost similar to that of Abaranger.

So why cosplay as Souji? I feel Souji has a lot riding on his shoulders throughout the series. As I stated, he is the youngest on the team, so at least one or two of his teammates don't take him too seriously - we're looking at you, Ian Yorkshire (KyoryuBlack). He's still in high school, so he's struggling to keep up with his studies as well as fight off the Deboth Army. He's striving for the approval of his father, who doesn't approve of his "feral" sword fighting style. Lastly, the guy's kind of a dipshit when it comes to love (sounds like someone I know - oh wait...). My for sure reason why I want to do this character is because it's something new for me. I really feel I can work this character out to the best of my ability.

Now then, the reveal. How do I look?
My take on the signature pose; photo courtesy of Eric Patrick

Doing a little Billy Lee Black from Xenogears

Brave In!

Hard to dance in a cramped hallway

Fire!
For the record, that's not my real hair. It's a wig straight from Korea to match a current style a lot of the males are rocking nowadays, I guess. It could be used to double as an Alata wig from Goseiger if I wanted to. I should've had a photo of Souji with his Ranger Key. Dang, guess I'll have to get that done at ACEN. I can do the dance, so if you wanna see it, just request it. One person at a time, please. If everyone asks all at once, I'll only do it that one time. Please understand, the dance does take a lot of energy to do properly. Okay, maybe not, but I don't want to strain myself for the rest of the day.

What can I do to make this look a little better? I can't really think of anything. The hairstyle is pretty similar to how Souji wears his hair.

Tune in next week, or whenever, for my next cosplay reveal. Your hint this week is that he maybe a loveable loser, but all Japan views him as their sea otter.

No comments:

Post a Comment