Sunday, April 19, 2015

ACEN Cosplay Reveal - Finale

I asked my peeps on Facebook if I should do a cosplay reveal for Anime Central, like how Super Smash Bros. did one for their characters. Unfortunately, with my mouse broken, I can't post fancy schmancy photos, so we'll have to make due with what we got. Don't like? Deal. Now on with the show!


Momotarou Mikoshiba backstrokes to victory!

Not the exact costume, but couldn't find the most appropriate one
 I know what you're thinking. A Free: Iwatobi Swim Club character? Trust me, I had my doubts, too. When the show first came out, people kept saying how it was the "gayest thing since gay came to gay town". Others, like my smart anime friends, have stated otherwise. So, naturally, I buckle under the pressure and decide to give the show a watch. I really didn't see anything too gay about the show. Yes, there were some gay undertones - mainly from Nagisa (I still like the character) - but it wasn't shoved in your face like any other yaoi or shonen-ai shows. For the record, this is not a yaoi or shonen-ai. It's a sports anime like Prince of Tennis or Eyeshield 21 (granted I never saw Eyeshield). It just so happens to feature lots of guys in swim attire. All in all, I liked the show. I thought it was a good "friendship" show with a weird story. I'd still recommend it.

The question is, who is Momotarou Mikoshiba? He's the younger brother of the former Samezuka Academy swim captain, Seijuuro, who debuted in the series' second season. At first he's reluctant in joining the swim club until he suffers a defeat at the hands of Mako in a match for fun. Much like his brother, he has a crush on the Iwatobi team's manager, Gou. Difference is, Momo likes to talk, and talk he does. He actually reveals to this girl what his hobbies are, what foods he loves, and gets close to telling her his showering habits. Who does that? So why do I like this character? It's simple! We're somewhat alike! We're both the loveable losers!

Okay, that maybe a little harsh coming from me. So yes, folks who have been keeping up with the workout progress, this character is the reason I've been trying to get into shape. My abs have been showing some definition and I'm seeing some difference in my pectoral region.

Sorry to say, I don't have photos of me in the costume. I do have the wig, the Samezuka Academy jacket, athletic pants, and... I maaaaaaayyyyyyy have something else Momo is known to wear in the show. Yes, I can even do the arching bridge he does after his first defeat. So, Momo may be walking around the floor, but I don't think ACEN security will allow me to run around in a speedo. If anyone wants to have photos of me in it, we will have to move it to an area where we won't get yelled at for being "improper" (yeah, tell that to the girls dressed as Yoko or other girls in revealing clothes; hell no a guy can't do it 9_9).

All in all, the Momo cosplay is my way of regaining confidence in myself. I can actually take my shirt off and not be repulsed. So... thanks, Free, for giving me faith in my body again? I guess?

As a remainder:
  • Ryou Shirogane (Tokyo Mew Mew)
  • Captain Marvelous (Gokaiger)
  • Souji Rippukan (Kyoryuger)
  • Stardust (WWE)
  • Momotarou Mikoshiba (Free: Iwatobi Swim Club)

No comments:

Post a Comment